2.10.2006

A Few Comments On First Principles

In the course of a conversation below, the issue of presuppositions (or first principles) was broached. I have a few things to say on the subject:

Presuppositions are arbitrary. While there are many reasons why people choose the presuppositions that they have, there are no reasons that prove or establish one's presuppositions. For example, let us suppose that my daughter accepts the axiom of Scripturalism, namely that the Bible alone is the Word of God. Why would she choose this? Presumably it will be, at least partly, because I have raised her to believe that it is so. Or, for another example, an atheist may accept his presuppositions because he was raised by other atheists. These are, of course, only partial explanations; if Scripturalism is true and Sophia does accept it, then it will be not only because she was raised to accept them but also because God decided that it be so.

However, if we search for a reason why one should accept the Scripturalist's axiom, then we will be left without an answer. This is, however, not a unique position for Christianity, as I have tried to make clear in a previous post. So, the Scripturalist's axiom is something like: The Bible alone is the Word of God. However, it is a little more complicated than this. In presupposing this proposition, we presuppose what we mean by the word Bible. We do not merely presuppose a word, but the word has content. We also do not merely presuppose the list of sixty-six books in the Bible, but the content of those sixty-six books. We are not empiricists, and so when we read the Bible and think that Ephesians 2 states that it is by grace that we are saved, we assume that this is what it actually says. Of course, we admit that it could actually say, "It is not by grace that we are saved . . . " Who is to say? I presuppose that it doesn't, because this is part of my axiom. We also presuppose what we mean by God and Word. But we also presuppose certain propositions that form our hermeneutic.

This means that many of the debates raging concerning certain texts of the Scripture can never be resolved simply by longer and longer exegesis of the passage. Often it is simply a war of hermeneutics, which is simply a war of presuppositions. In this case, what is needed is not evidence, but a metaphorical hammer to destroy the other person's axiom and then show that yours can survive criticism. Does this, then, guarantee that our presuppositions are true? No. We admit an objective truth that is true regardless of what we think, however we can only find this truth by assuming a starting point and hoping that this is, in fact, true. However, when we assume a starting point, that starting point determines what we consider to be true or false; in fact, we may be mistaken.

So, what if I have certain presuppositions that X cannot possibly be true because it is inherently contradictory or it contradicts certain presuppositions to which I hold? An example of the former would be something like: God can show us a new reality where He can create a round square. To deny this statement is not to deny that God is omnipotent, but, rather, to say that this statement is nonsense. It is inherently contradictory. A round square cannot consistently be imagined or thought. An example of X contradicting certain presuppositions to which I hold would be: Suppose someone stated that a new scientific finding shows that Jesus never actually lived. I would reject this out of hand because it contradicts something I presuppose.

Now, let us suppose that I am reading the Bible and find that verse Z teaches that X is true; however, I, for either of the two reasons previously stated, believe it to be impossible for X to be true. What am I to do? In a comment below I gave only one option, but there really are two. First, I can dismiss my reading of Z; I must have misread it for certainly one of my presuppositions about the Bible is that it cannot contradict itself. Second, I may question the presupposition (let us call it Y) which X contradicts, or, if I believe X to be inherently contradictory, then I may reconsider whether X is actually self-contradictory.

But note well, even if I were to question Y, it would not be on the basis of some neutral criterion such as the Bible. I can only "get to" the Bible through W (the collective set of my presuppositions excepting Y) in order to see if Y is worth holding to or not. So, in effect, I am judging a presupposition (Y) on my other presuppositions (W). If I find that Y does not contradict W, then I am probably going to continue to believe Y. I think, however, that people actually rarely question their presuppositions because of a conclusion reached. This is because it is the purpose of the presuppositions to judge your derivative beliefs and not vice versa. However, a possible state of affairs is thus: suppose that I come to conclude that the Z teaches X, but X contradicts Y. I then question Y by means of W and find no problem here. The problem must be with my interpretation of Z. So I return to Z and take great caution to ensure that I am interpreting Z in accordance with V (V is equal to W plus Y). However, I still come to conclude that Z teaches X. At this point I may become convinced that there is, in fact, a problem with my presuppositions. Or I may be convinced that I am a bad exegete; there is nothing wrong with my presuppositions but I keep messing up with Z. I can leave it alone and move on. These seem to be my two options.

If I take the first course and question my presuppositions, then I would need to question more than just Y in light of W; I would need to question U in light of T (where U and T are maximal subsets of V). Geez, I swore I would never turn into the standard analytic philosopher that uses all those letters. Oh well.

So, I'm not sure if I've cleared things up at all, but let me apply this to Romans 1 in light of our debate on general revelation. Because of my presuppositions about language, propositions, revelation, and the like (given in a previoius post) then I must conclude that it is impossible for Romans 1 to teach that any man can see nature and come to any valid and true belief concerning God without already believing those things already. This is what I think Paul means when he says that they suppress the truth; that is, they cease to believe it. When someone ceases to believe that there is a God or any related propositions about creation, they will not see the glory of God displayed in nature. They must believe first. General revelation is not creation itself, but it is the propositions given to all men that if believed would cause them to see nature as creation instead of as merely nature. But men darkened their hearts by refusing to believe these propositions; they did not disbelieve them because God did not make it evident to them, namely giving them innate knowledge. They disbelieved them because they (we) were wicked.

As such, pointing unbelievers to nature is not more useful than sending them to a crappy summer camp; they are both equally useless in the field of valid argumentation. This is not to deny that some pagans will see the evidence of God in creation, but this is because they already believe that some god created nature; we have not proven anything to them. If we point someone to nature or the supposed design in nature, we will accomplish one of two things: 1. the person will already believe that nature was created by God and thus will accomplish nothing or 2. the person will not believe that nature was created by God, the person will reject our conclusion about creation and we will have accomplished nothing. See my point?

Let me know if I left something out.

2 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger Zac said...

"I'm not understanding how your presupposition concerning general revelation overrides your presupposition about how language works. If we accept the rules of language as a valid presuppostion when reading the Bible, which I think you would, then we cannot contradict those presuppositions in order to satisfy our presuppositions about general revelation."

I think that there some misunderstand going on, because I'm not really sure what's being said here. I don't think my "presuppositions about general revelation overide my presuppositions about language". I'm not even sure what that means.

"I'm not comprehending how you are arriving at the presupposition that nature says nothing to unbelievers, is it another text in the Bible, or is it a necessary presupposition to hold along with "The Bible alone is the Word of God?""

Again, I feel like there some equivocation going on here. Nature qua nature (that is, nature as nature) does not say anything to anyone. Pick up a stone, it doesn't say anything. IT's just a stone. These black marks on your screen that you're reading right, if we take them just as black marks don't say anything. It's only when we believe certain things regarding language and my intentions that they act as SIGNS that point to something I want you to understand, namely ideas.

As such, when one look at nature, if one does not believe certain things about God and creation and themselves, then nature will not act as a SIGN to them to point them to ideas that God has placed in their minds already. It is only when one ALREADY believes certain things about creation, does the mountain become a sign. When the Scriptures state that unbelievers suppress the knowledge of God, I think this means they refuse to believe it.

They refuse to believe the propositions that would be required for them to see nature as a sign.

"In addition, since we are not empiricists, what if I were to say that God supernaturally revealed Rom 1 to me, and that He imparted the information into my mind, not my brain, that unbelievers can read the language of nature and understand God's omnipotence? You would have no argument against me except to say that He has revealed it differently to you."

No, I would have an argument. I would say that your position is unintelligible. I do not see how you can get around what I'm saying: In order for nature to even appear as a language to anyone that talks about God's omnipotence, they must already believe in God's omnipotence. Then nature hasn't proved anything to them. They simply see nature as a result of God's omnipotence, that which they already believe.

In Romans 1 Paul is saying that God has given them nature and given them the knowledge of God's omnipotence and that they ought to be able to put 2 and 2 together and see that nature is not to be worship. However, they have suppressed the knowledge of God's omnipotence and do not believe it. Now, when they look at nature they do not see the result of God's omnipotence, but something to be worshiped.

My point, again, is this: One cannot see the omnipotence of God in nature without first already believing in that omnipotence.

I think much of the problem is some equivocation going on.

Before we move on, let's clear this up:

Question: Do you believe it's possible for someone to see the omnipotence in nature without first believing in the existence of God and the omnipotence of God?

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Zac said...

"Actually, I think that in Rom 1 the reason that Paul can say that all men are without excuse is because all men know (in the ginoskw sense, not necessarily the Clarkian sense) (at least at one point in their lives) these attributes of God."

Then you and I are an an impasse. I don't even "know" what you mean by "know" in a non-Clarkian sense but in a ginoskw sense. I mean, would you mean that they "believed" it? Or they just understood it? Or that they contemplated it while sucking on their bottles? haha. I mean, seriously, I have no clue what this could mean. I'm just teasin you a bit, but yeah. How come many, many pagans never remember having consciously understood or contemplated the attributes of God? Did they know it unconsciously? Are we reverted to Freudian psychology? I think these are questions you have to answer.

"It is clearly presupposed in these verses that unbelieving Gentiles are able to comprehend the language (call it what you want) of nature."

And I have said that I agree with that IF they believed the innate propositions that God gave to them. Since they don't believe them, they can't understand what nature "says".

"Therefore, a more direct answer to your question is yes, I believe everyone sees omnipotence in nature, even prior to faith (these are clearly unbelieving Gentiles)."

ONe last thing, I can't respond to everything right now. I will admit that there was some unclarity in what I said earlier because of the context of Moore's original blog. Let me try to clear it up:

I'll post a blog post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home